Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Quick Personal Update


On Monday, our anniversary, my daughter had a car accident and while the vehicle she was driving sustained little damage, it was airborne and slammed to the ground with enough force to cause compression fractures in two of her vertebrae (Think Dukes of Hazzard). In short, she broke her back (not a bad break, no paralysis involved as long as she is careful as it heals). We are still in the hospital, with some hope of coming home today but personally I think she should stay another night. We'll see what the professionals say though.

She will be wearing a brace for a couple of months, with a checkup after a month to determine if the worst break (in the most important vertebrae, L1) is healing at the right angle or not. If it isn't, then she'll require surgery. I sure hope it does.

No, even though she is a teenager, she wasn't texting and driving. No she wasn't drinking. And yes she was wearing her seat belt. Had any of those been a factor, she may not even be here now.

But she will be alright. Other than the back injury she is fine. She is in a lot of pain, but that will ease eventually as the bones heal. She needs help with everything she does other than changing the tv channel, but even her brother is being helpful and even *thoughtful* towards her - and it was *his* truck that was wrecked!

So I have more on my plate than usual. Padrone knows and understands of course, and is being absolutely wonderful throughout all of this, and it never crossed my mind that he wouldn't be. I'll still be here, since she won't need me all the time, nor will she want me around all the time. I still have school, and since I don't yet have a job, I am able to stay home with hear easily.

Padrone, thank you for understanding and supporting me through this crisis, as I know you will throughout the entire process. I am, believe it or not, all out of mushy words, except to say that, even when I cannot show it, you mean more to me than you will ever know. I am yours.

4 comments:

greengirl said...

oh i really hope you are all alright and that your daughter heals well.

schiava said...

Thanks, gg. *I* am just tired, tired, tired. I have my teary moments now and then of course, but as I know you understand, when our kids need us, we find reservoirs of strength that we never dreamed were there in order to be/do whatever they need from us.

As for her, well, she is in some pretty severe pain. We did get home last night, and the first night at home went pretty well. It's actually a bit easier since I got a "potty chair" for her when we stopped at Walgreen's for her prescriptions. And there's also a walker and of course the back brace.

I'll hush now, I promise. Thanks a lot, gg.

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Do you two ever plan on meeting?

schiava said...

Yes, eventually we will. :)