Sunday, January 29, 2012

Underestimating our Doms


I do it far more often than I like to think.

From what I read, I am not alone in this.

Yes, we do tend to put our Doms on a pedestal. We tend to want to believe that they walk on water. We *need* for them to be as close to perfect as we think we are far away from perfect. We need for them to be everything we think we are not.

Because we have chosen to live in a particular way, within specified relationship roles and guidelines, we are indeed free to express who we are to the fullest extent possible. And that is absolutely the most wonderful, fulfilling, feeling I have ever felt in my life outside childbirth.

But there are times when I think we forget the rest of the picture. We forget that we, even when we are living our submission to the fullest extent possible, are only half of the equation and that no relationship of any sort is achievable when it is out of balance. Oh yes, it is easy to remember that our Doms are just as Dominant as we are submissive. But what about the rest?

We tend to worry a lot about how they will react if we are less than perfect in our submission. If we fail to maintain their standards we wonder if they will lose interest, and leave.

My how we underestimate our Doms.

I learned this particular lesson during the summer I was working full time at a physically demanding job with crazy hours and little pay, while going to grad school full time. It was challenging to say the least and for lots and lots of reasons, and y'all know how worried I was about Padrone's pleasure, satisfaction, happiness. I worried that he would find someone else to scene with (believe it or not I would have been alright with that if it weren't for the fact that our own relationship started in much the same circumstances), and more upsetting - I worried that he would be enticed by someone who was more available than I was (and am).

I do cringe when I remember just how worried I was that summer. Yes, it was about me and my own insecurities. But it was also about Padrone and how I really didn't think about how little faith I was showing in him. He is such a wonderful man, and so wonderful to *me*. And I have commented, typed, before about his commitment to me and our relationship. But somehow that was lost in the shuffle at that time.

I am not alone in that line of thought.

Why is it that the men we hold in such high esteem, we tend to attribute some pretty ugly qualities whenever we don't meet some arbitrary standards? I mean, yes, I do understand that they have high standards for us in terms of behavior and such. But we have even higher standards for ourselves. And honestly, I believe that tends to leave us totally inflexible in a lot of ways. That inflexibility about our own standards of behavior can create inflexible expectations for both ourselves as well as our Dominants.

The simplistic view is that if we don't behave within a specific set of behaviors that not only have we failed, but that our Doms see us as failures. When we believe that we are seen as failures what happens? Usually we tend to do whatever we can to "fix" things. In other words, we take control over ourselves. Why? Do we really not believe that our Doms can control us when we are less than perfect?

Much has been written about submission not being meaningful if it is easy. I believe that thought is often translated into "submission is *only* meaningful if it is *not* easy", which is not necessarily true. Both subs and Doms often see the more difficult aspects of submission as the most meaningful, and forget about the day-to-day things done to serve, please, and obey that are not always difficult or which become less difficult over time.

We think, many times, that it is our responsibility to keep our Dominants from having any kind of difficulties in the relationship.

We underestimate them.

Maybe, just maybe, it is when Dominance is more difficult that is just as meaningful as when submission is difficult. Maybe Doms should be stretched in ways equal to the way we want to stretch our submission. Maybe being a Dom is difficult in ways that we may not think of, but the ways we *do* think make it difficult .... really aren't that difficult .... maybe it is mostly because the things *we* think are difficult are merely things we would *find* difficult if we were the big D.

Maybe there's a reason we aren't Dominant. Maybe, just maybe, our own strengths lie in different directions and allow us to be who we are and let them be who they are. (Not necessarily who we think they are or should be or react how we would)

When we take such a heavy responsibility for our relationships it is as if we believe that they have no responsibility for anything other than giving us the control we need to be fulfilled as a person. We lose sight of the fact that they are equal partners in our relationships, bearing equal responsibility for their success.

We underestimate them.

Believe it or not, they really *are* as great as we think they are. They are just as strong as we give them credit for being. Even in the BAD times. Even when we *aren't* as great as we think we should be. Even in the crazy times. As Padrone tells me, and sometimes I literally have to remind myself of that in the few times when he gets upset with me....He isn't made of glass. Getting upset now and then won't hurt him, much less break him!

Neither would running a dishwasher or having to masturbate when I can't be available. I even plan to teach him how to use a washer, but don't tell him I said that! But the problem we have is that we submissives think that our "job" in terms of keeping our Dominants happy, is meeting every freaking need they may possibly have and if they have to ask us for something, we've somehow failed.

Maybe our failure is in not understanding that these men are strong, capable men and that their universal expectation of us is that we do our best, given our circumstances. They are flexible enough to understand that life happens, circumstances change, and they are pretty darn good about changing their behavioral expectations of us based on those things. (One more admirable trait that we forget about when we take them off the pedestal and replace them with our own behaviors.) Yes, I do believe that part of underestimating our Doms is that we hold our own submission up as what makes the relationship work (or create problems, as the case may be). I do not believe that is true any more than I believe that one person can see-saw alone!

Padrone, I offer my sincere apology for underestimating you. I have no excuse other than the fact that I did not realize just how much control I was retaining by assuming such a heavy burden of responsibility for the health of our relationship. While I comment on, and deeply admire, your commitment to me and to us....somehow I still wanted...want?...to prevent any weakening of that commitment. Guess what? It's not going anywhere. And even if it did...it would not be *my* responsibility for it happening.

If I truly believe in you...that you are the person I think you are....then my responsibility is to let go of the idea that your happiness is based on what I do or don't do. I have to accept that you are happy with me because of who I am, rather than what I do. Yes, I have talked about this before, but never in terms of how that attempt to retain absolute control over the health of our relationship underestimates you as it does. God...Padrone, I am so, so sorry.

Thank you, my Padrone, for being who you are. Thank you for letting me grow and learn and change to become the best person I can be, and the best slave for you. I am yours...through the good, the bad, and the ugly. Totally and irrevocably yours.

5 comments:

mouse said...

Oh goodness, something else that mouse needs to apologize for...

Seriously, mouse is racking up quite the list!

You again brought up so many great points...things mouse truly needed to hear.

Thank you so very much,
mouse

Anonymous said...

you always write so beautifully and explain things from your side. I am glad to hear you give your Master and other Doms credit for being an equal part in the relationship. Pedastals are very nice but mere mortals tend to fall and hurt themselves.

And we are also not some fragile thing needing to be kept so removed from reality. I for one, want to know all the details. Only in that way can I truly understand what is going on.

I need to know because things go wrong, little and big things. And when things go wrong I know your Master wants to be there for you because of the commitment you have for each other.

schiava said...

mouse, I truly did not mean for you to have to apologize for anything, especially since a lot of your situation is due to changed physical and emotional components to your life! You are so introspective, and perceptive, that these thoughts are some that are in your mind anyway, but you just took a different route to get here. But I do admit that it was a recent post of yours that made me start thinking along these lines. What I thought when I read it was very similar to something you typed when I was so worried that one summer ... basically that he is not going anywhere and can't you see that it is YOU he loves and cherishes far more than anything you DO? Not those words of course, but that is the effect of what you said on me anyway - lol (that's why I know that these thoughts were in your psyche, you just are too otherwise occupied ... mentally, physically, emotionally ... to get there at this point in time.) But I am glad you understood what I was trying to say, and that it was meaningful for you too. :)

Anonymous, It is rare that a Dominant comments on my blog, so I appreciate your thoughts very much! I do wish I had more Dom input, since for me, the biggest challenge of submission is not understanding the Dom mentality.

It isn't that I ever keep things from Padrone....it is more that I just ... want to protect him from anything bad ever happening. But I do have to say....tonight, plans had to be changed at almost the last minute, and I wasn't available for use after all. But I initiated an online serving, which he said was the best ever, and he was pleased. Yes, it would have been better the way we had planned. But I refused to feel guilty and I *did* remind myself repeatedly that it didn't hurt him to be disappointed, especially since I couldn't help it.

In other words, I didn't underestimate him. I didn't take full responsibility as if he couldn't or wouldn't understand the situation. I did offer an alternative, but honestly it wasn't planned but very spur of the moment. So I didn't do my typical behaviors, and it worked out after all.

Thanks to both of you!

Franti said...

I remember an old comedian commenting how hard it was to go on stage in variety theatres, and to always find some stone faced guy in the audience who said "Facce ride" (Make us laugh). Equally hard, for a Master, is a slave coming to you and saying "I have a problem, make it go away".

I mean, really? It's easy when the problem is just a huge spider terrifying her (and believe me, they have some really big spiders in Australia), but some time we all have to face serious problems, that have no immediate or easy solution.

I remember, many years before even knowing what D/s is, being in Paris metro with a beautiful girl that i was hoping would become my girlfriend. The only problem was that she had absolutely no orientation sense and left alone in any unknown place she would get lost in about 3 seconds. And when i teasingly asked "What would you do down here without me?" She snorted in derision "Do you really think i could not find someone else to help me?" That, my friends, was a sobering answer!

But I did learn, and now i have to ask: as a Master, what kind of woman would you want as your slave? Because many subs are lead to believe that Masters are just that: main coltroller and problem solving machines.

One of the many, many things i love in my schiava is that, as submissive and devoted as she is, she is also a solid adult woman with realistic expectations about her life and, more important, about our relationship.

She is so right when she says that D/s defines only a part of who we are, and in the part that's not D/s we can be both quite stubborn and upsetting at times, but we are also committed to help each other at the best of our abilty and, hey, it's working.

mouse said...

Thank you so much!!! Really thank you!

Hugs,
mouse