Thursday, January 21, 2010

Our kind of exchange


Well, once again spirited got me thinking with her most recent post: here . In that post she talks about TPE, a subject i typically stay well away from because frankly, i don't give a flying flip what our relationship is called, as long as it works for us. Labels don't really mean that much to me, in terms of defining our relationship, but when i first became interested in D/s long ago, i struggled to find definitions that worked and made sense to me.

i may not have a lot of common sense, but even a novice like i was saw that many of the philosophies that were being spouted by folks in the "lifestyle" were totally unrealistic for so many ppl to be involved in it.

i do understand that i may be "nit-picking", because of my thoughts about what is "exchanged" in a M/s relationship, but the one philosophy that is so often referred to as "true D/s", and that truly makes no sense to me whatsoever is TPE. i realize that it may seem to be quite a fine line that i am drawing in my own definition of what happens when one begins, and maintains, a M/s relationship, but what has always been the case in my relationships, and also in the successful relationships i have always known about, is that it isn't POWER that is exchanged - especially "totally".

If i gave Padrone all power, that would mean i was totally powerLESS, correct? If i were powerless, then how could i perform a job? How could i pay my bills? How could i raise my children? How could i even dress or wash clothes or clean the house without His power to tell me what to do and when to do it? That is unrealistic even in a live-together kind of relationship, as MOST folks will admit! And of course, there is always the argument that i could "beg permission" to go to work, as if that would be denied - lol!

And those facts would be true, even if we lived in the same household. There are things that each of us do, because we *are* separate entities, and Padrone cannot live my life and His as well. And He can't do it even when we are living together, and i would hate it if He tried! 

So what i learned long ago, something that makes FAR more sense to me than a total POWER exchange, is that it isn't power at all that is "given", it is the authority to exert power in my life. Yes, theoretically, Padrone could require me to beg permission to go to work, or to do a load of clothes, or to have a cup of coffee or what to make for dinner. But realistically that is all hogwash. i understand that many Masters micromanage far more than Padrone does, and that many slaves need that kind of micromanagement far more than i do. But frankly, nobody has total power over another person, even if they keep them caged and bound - unless they simply choose to let them die for lack of nourishment or water, of course.

Ugh, way too far "out there" for what i hoped to say today.

i have long believed that the most healthy relationships have balance in all areas, even M/s relationships (which many folks refuse to accept, but it's true). A Master can only control that which the slave gives Him authority *to* control. It is my thought, and has been confirmed in every HEALTHY relationship i have ever encountered, that no Master will choose to control everything in a slave's life. Every little thing that a slave does that isn't expressly by her Master's "will" or "permission" confirms my theory that POWER can never be totally exchanged ... and that authority can, and is, but is often not exerted.

For us, one example is my kids. Padrone doesn't involve himself in the raising of my kids, although He will, and does, offer insights and opinions and suggestions when i am at a loss what to do. That's a mutual choice, btw, just so y'all don't think i am depriving Padrone of an area of authority in my life which He would wish to have control over.


But in general, the strength of the power of a Master, or the level of His authority, is equally matched by the strength and depths of the slave's submission. It is when that balance is disrupted that problems happen, imho. But nobody can force me to do what i don't submit to do, except in the case of abuse - this is NOT a post about abuse, but about a healthy M/s relationship. As trust grows, so the submission deepens. If trust is disrupted, then the submission is harder to give.

In general, in all types of relationships, it is when the relationship is balanced....mutual everything - respect, trust, love, acceptance, support....that they are strong, healthy, positive relationships. And so, to me, the idea of TPE is very attractive to some in this lifestyle, but totally unrealistic in practice. Nobody, even the "lowliest of slaves", is totally powerless, but she *may* have no authority to  make decisions in her life. Being powerless implies lack of ability, having no authority means lack of opportunity.

And i guess that's the whole point. i don't have the opportunity to decide if i am going to do that which i am restricted from doing, or not do what i have been required to do - without serious consequences that is. i *do* have the power to do it - if i couldn't then there would be no reason for any type of punishment in our relationship.

i don't know, maybe it is simply that TPE *sounds* so enthralling to those of us who do what we do. Maybe it is that it is the "accepted" term by so many who expound their views loudly over the internet and in books, etc. Maybe it's the "experts" who have thrown this term together and chosen to shove it down our throats, and it's easy to accept what others say, rather than forge our own paths.

But for me...and for us....i am valued partly *because* of my ability to live my life without being micromanaged...the ability to make my own choices at times, all the while striving to live as pleasing to my Master as possible, given the restrictions that distance creates.

Padrone, this line of thought has really made me start thinking, even more than usual. (i know You're ecstatic to hear that *sarcasm, sarcasm*) Trust and balance and submission and authority and all the basics - i need to revisit them i think - and i know You know why. Thank You for the value You place on me, and on our relationship....and i love You more than my actions lately have shown.

i truly am Yours, and gratefully so.

7 comments:

turiya said...

You've made some very valid points and now you've got me thinking again... LOL... now I have to post again.

*hugs*

spirited

mouse said...

A power exchange is just that, an exchange of power, and he offers his authority to you. If he said to you for example, "I really don't like you in that color, or you look great in that kind of dress." I'm sure you'd bend backward to not buy that color again, or look for a similar styled dress.

It doesn't have to be micromanagement. It can be macro. For example O and I could have lots of rules, but really we don't anymore. I'm to be respectful and defer to him if push comes to shove.

This doesn't mean that I can't disagree with something he says, but at the end of the day he decides and I go along.

So, ya I guess O does have all the power. But it doesn't mean he keeps my brain on a shelf and only lets me access to it once in a while. And ya, I'm aware that such a relationship can be misused. It was in our case not too long ago, but I dunno I feel things are different now and better than they were even before.

mouse

schiava said...

i am pretty anti-label, and anti-judgement of others who label or not. i guess i get irritated a bit when others try to put us all in a "box" if we call ourselves slave or call our relationship M/s, based on their own definitions, and their expectations of us and our obedience and our relationships...and even our demeanor in a freaking blog!

i'd much rather live the way that makes us happy, whatever it's called by others, and however it's defined by us! What we call how we live our lives is far less important to me, and to Padrone, than finding the ways to make it as wonderful and fulfilling as possible.

HJ said...

hi doll,

Been reading alot, even quite a few back posts. Thank you for the link to your blog as it helps when that little monster on my shoulder barks at me to run away thinking I'm going to be hurt.

zari`

schiava said...

zari!

i'm so glad you commented, and that you're reading! i'm not an expert on long distance relationships by any means, but i do like to think i have learned a few things along the way.

(btw, if you go back far enough, you'll see the "old" channel we used to hang out in mentioned a time or two - not by name though)

Please don't hesitate to call or text me if you'd ever like to talk - even if not about our relationships!

*hugs*

HJ said...

I prolly won't be in the "other" channel anymore either darlin' Seems my type of humor isn't well liked around there, nor am I by most of the *clears throat* gentleman that hang there.

I'm not one for drama so I've decided to stay away. But I've still got your number & here to keep in contact.

Hugs

schiava said...

It takes a rare kind of person to look beyond a persona in a chat room. Women seem to be able, and willing, to do it more than men - based on the time i have spend online in chat rooms.

And it is even more rare for a person to understand that not *everyone* creates an online persona! You don't, nor do i, and that isn't appreciated very much in general - lol.

And please feel free to email me as well, if you'd like. i know how hard the beginning of this kind of relationship can be, no matter what your feelings for the man himself, and sometimes just talking it out with someone who understands is a good thing. i'm so glad you're hanging in there, no matter what your fears are!

frantis_schiava@yahoo.com - for you, or anyone who'd like to use it - lol.