Saturday, April 20, 2013

Short and Simple



I am officially job hunting again.

It's hard not to be a bit down about it, but if there isn't a good fit between teacher and administration, something has to change. I'm learning that I'm a far more easygoing teacher than I thought I would be, and honestly if I could simply get away with a lot of reading to fulfill requirements, that is what I would do! And I may, depending on the school where I end up. I believe that well-written books (key words well-written) can be used to teach so many aspects of our language, culture, geography, history, and more science than one might imagine, and it is a shame that we have categorized so much of our teaching into "subject-shaped boxes". To me, that is a huge shame, because I believe that students can learn about life situations and how to apply what they learn to all aspects of their lives by generalization rather than by learning in Language Arts what a noun is, in Social Studies which explorer when where, in science about the solar system, etc. Why not use a book such as The Witch of Blackbird Pond and teach exploration, colonial history, astrology and solar system, AND parts of speech all using one resource? Students can quite easily understand how things fit together in life that way, and their generalization skills would benefit them throughout their education!

Alright, I'm off my soapbox now.

This school was not designed for the type of teacher that I am, I have learned. I am the teacher with bean bags and a reading corner complete with overflowing bookcase and rug for comfort. I have a myriad of puzzles and Legos to stimulate cognitive functioning. I have word games that the students love to do. I purchased a hub so that my students could have internet access at sites allowed by the district's filters. I made a "dice" to have a "life sized board game". I was the first to have my students do commercials when they learned about tools of persuasion. I am the teacher that laughs at myself so students might learn that life can be fun even if they are "different". And I am the teacher whose heart will break when it comes time to say goodbye to this particular bunch of kids.

Because leave I must. I don't teach students sitting in rows, silent like robots with worksheets and pencils in their hands. I cannot and will not teach that way.

It's been a long, emotional time lately. And I feel as if I have neglected Padrone immensely. It's always something.

On a positive note, my portfolio is finished as far as I am concerned. I have heard from my supervising professor and she said that except for "minor tweaks" I'm finished, but I haven't yet heard what she feels needs to be "tweaked". Because of that, and the fact that it is time to turn it in, I am saying I'm finished. What an incredible feeling! I KNOW I passed it this time. It is just a FAR better example of what I can do, know, and believe than the last one was - but this time I had support and supervision. Guess what. I NEED that as a student, go figure!

But it would still be in my head if Padrone hadn't made the website for me!

Needless to say there hasn't been a lot of overtly D/s stuff going on lately. Padrone even gave me a wonderful gift last weekend - of relaxation and not thinking about being used. It was truly wonderful, I admit, and I am a supremely blessed woman. I am so grateful for all your gifts, Padrone, but that one was incredibly special to me and the gratitude is still deep and strong even if I haven't mentioned it much this week. Thank you for taking care of your schiava, il Padrone mio, in so many, many ways. I am wonderfully, proudly, gratefully yours.

1 comment:

mouse said...

Seriously...mouse truly believes you've got enough going on without having to worry about D/s stuff too.

Good luck with everything! And for the record, mouse completely agrees with you on teaching.

Hugs,
mouse