Thursday, December 31, 2009

i've been remiss

but not missing in action.

i've been busy (haven't we all?), Christmas, kids, the ex finally getting a job, my own job taking adjustments, plans for the future coming far too soon, and...well, sickness and irritability aren't very good companions this time of year either.

Maybe it's because it's New Year's Eve and the calendar turns a new page and we all have to start typing and writing 2010 rather than 2009 tomorrow, but most people i know have been in reflective kinds of moods. i am no exception.

The past week or so i have come to some conclusions that have been extremely difficult for me to reach, but i had to get there eventually. i've concluded that i am tired of feeling on the fringe of family life (with my parents, siblings, extended family). i have concluded that i made a huge mistake a few years ago when i opened up to someone in the family regarding my childhood abuse. i have concluded that sometimes silence is golden, and preserving relationships is sometimes more important than individual gratification. i have concluded that i despise the position i put myself in when i trusted that time would heal wounds.

It's too easy to blame the ones who treat me differently now. It's too easy to say "who cares"? because i do care. These people are people i grew up around, who i played with as a child, who shared the same Granny, who share the same memories now. It hurts to be totally cut out of their lives like a bag of garbage simply because they refuse to accept what happened to me. i understand their point, i do. And yet i know that if i had simply said nothing....gone for counselling without saying a word....that things would be different now, probably.

Things are different now for me as a woman as well. One of the cousins added me to facebook, has sent "ihearts" and "cafe world" and "farmville" gifts, but has yet to speak to me there, not even "liking" my status when Mark Ingram won the Heisman or when Alabama beat the snot out of Florida. Her mother (the widow of one of my molesters, go figure) added me, and the same thing....generic contact without any conversation at all. One of my sisters in law even refuses to add me as a friend on facebook, much less speak to me in person. So what happens when we all get together?

Just hurt feelings, things i shouldn't be hurt about because i am the one who brought them on myself. Things i shouldn't be hurt about because i tend to expect too much from people, and too soon. i won't be forgiven for breaking this silence, and i finally, finally realized it. It hurts because i had hoped, even though i didn't think i did. Sometimes i guess we don't recognize hope until it's gone.

So now, i am in the process of regrouping. This really hit hard today for some reason, this plus so many other things in December that have been hard. It's not an easy month but this year it seemed more difficult than usual. i'll make it, i don't stay down for long, and the new year holds lots of promise for me, and the potential for the fulfillment of a lifelong dream, so i do have a lot of work ahead of me, and a lot of good things happening. i'm just letting myself grieve over the loss of family for a little while first.

i'll probably be embarrassed that i talked about this, tomorrow - lol. Oh well, there's always delete post option!

Padrone, not the kind of post i usually make, and i know i share too much here at times. But it just feels right to kind of....purge the emotions through sharing. i know everyone is glad i did (major sarcasm there, btw). Padrone, i am so deeply grateful for You. i can't ever convey how deeply grateful i feel without it sounding as if i think i am nothing and You are everything, but You know that isn't how i see it. i know i am a strong, worthwhile woman with a lot of potential - it is just that i see just how big a part You played in bringing me to the point of accepting and enjoying who i am. Right now i am a bit melancholy i guess, reflective and admitting mistakes made and feeling regrets for my lack of wisdom in handling that situation, but You know that i will learn from this, grow from it, and work to make myself into a better woman, and a better slave, for You.

i love You, and i can't imagine life without You, Padrone. Happy New Year, Padrone and everyone!

5 comments:

mouse said...

Abuse is hard to accept, it's hard for the one that was abused and it's hard for the ones who later discover the dirty little secret. But I'm going out on a limb here when I say this, I don't think you were wrong to share the secret and deep down inside, I'm sure whether they want to admit to themselves or not, they probably do believe you. They just don't know what to do with those feelings so they just ignore them. Pretend they don't exist and try to go on like before. Family lines are drawn in the sand and people are afraid to cross over it, for fear of upsetting someone else. Other's just firmly believe what they will. However years, and added experience might soften that.

Time may change that or it might never change, it doesn't change tho, in my opinion the courage you showed in that telling right or wrong.

I believe you were very brave.

Happy New Year my friend

mouse

butterfly said...

Nods, yeah, what mouse said.

The holidays always make it hard when there is strife within a family. Try not to feel like it's your fault. It seems to me you were totally right in speaking out...sometimes we have to put our own healing above what others think of us...especially when dealing with family!

Happy 2010!

butterfly

turiya said...

I'm going to just say... I agree with everything mouse said. It's sad that families will do this to each other, but unfortunately it happens. I've never said anything to my family about the abuse because I just knew it would get out of hand. I remember what they did to my sister (and she was an 8 year old kid at the time).

You were very brave for speaking up and I don't think you were wrong at all for doing it.

*hugs*

spirited

Wulfesbane said...

I agree with the above commentors completly. But i also think and have experienced the fact that it does help (or at least it did me) to confront those animals and the demons they birthed. I have came to realize that them excluding me or whatever you wanna call it is there loss more so than mine.

schiava said...

Wolfsbane, I agree that it is their loss rather than mine. In the years since I wrote this, I have been ignored in person by most of these same people, but I have made peace with it and they are the ones still carrying resentment around in their hearts and minds.

Thank you for the comment and the understanding. It does help to vent, and also to know that others understand and can empathize with what happens emotionally. :D