Monday, April 25, 2011

In Search of Treasure (or a job, same difference at this point)


So I have been job hunting again. I'm once more looking for a teaching position in Special Education, but this year I am far more prepared than I ever have been before. That's most definitely a good thing since I have put in long hours, much effort, and a few tears in order to be that prepared!

I went to the local school district office today. I had mailed applications all over the place in neighboring counties and within a strict, but doable, driving distance. But somehow I had neglected to apply locally. One reason is that I don't do political types of games, and I happen to know several teachers here and I don't want to get involved in "taking sides" or even in plain old gossip sessions. I may like you, but I won't gossip with you.

Anyway, when I went in, one of the women at the front desk was a friend of mine. Actually I wouldn't classify us as friends but as more than acquaintances, since we spent many long hours at the ball fields together when her girls and mine, and her son and mine, all played ball in the same leagues. I congratulated her on her daughter's behalf for earning academic honors, and then gave her the application packet I had put together. She asked if I had spoken with the SPED director for our county schools, and recommended that I take the same packet to her. So I thanked her nicely and sincerely and drove straight over there.

Not sure how much of an impression I gave wearing shorts, sandals, and a t shirt, but at least the t shirt is one of my alma mater which happens to be a prestigious school in our neck of the woods! I honestly didn't expect her to be in her office, so I was very surprised when her secretary said to go on back.

I handed her my packet and listed what was included. She looked over it all quickly and told me to call the principals of two of our schools, and make appointments to see them as soon as possible. I was excited, and thanked her, and then I just happened to ask if she could think of anything that I might want to include in my packet for them. So she gave me some very good suggestions, one of which was to discuss things that have worked for me in the classroom in terms of management. That really made me feel good because it was a direct reference to my one week in the classroom back in the fall where I took a class of 5 unruly boys and had them behaving within a couple of days...and not only behaving but enjoying themselves and each other!

I impressed her, and she let me know it, and that has me floating at the moment. As if you couldn't tell!

Anyway, right now I am waiting for return calls from principals (or their secretaries, I'm not picky) to set up appointments. I am going to print off lesson plans that I have created for class assignments which will show that I do know how to write them using the DOE Frameworks for our state. I am going to print of resumes and Praxis score reports, since I gave her my last copy of each of them. And I am going to get an email address for each of them if I can and send a link to my website that Padrone built for me which includes my philosophy of education, classroom management plan, sample letters to parents, etc. I will also print some of that off, probably a condensed version of my philosophy of education.

I'm realistically excited about this, frankly. I understand that these openings do not mean that I have a job, by ANY means! But what it *does* mean is that the timing is right for getting my applications in, for getting my name known in whatever school district I may be applying for. Now is the time that the districts are learning about openings, and are aggressively working to fill them. And this year, I am ready...qualified, eager to learn more as evidenced by my continuing in school, and available. And I have not procrastinated and sabotaged myself out of consideration.

Padrone, thank you for allowing me to continue in school even after last summer's major stress. It is benefiting me in practical ways now, since the lesson plans I did last semester will be the ones I print and provide as examples of my ability to write them. I made As, so I know they are good!

Padrone, I am excited...not totally because of this specific potential, but more because of the combination of things that have taught me that I am ready to teach. I am not simply hopeful, but I am ready. Emotionally, intellectually, mentally....I am ready in all the ethereal ways, not simply in the practical ways. But believe it or not I am also ready there as well!

Thank you, my Love. Thank you for supporting, encouraging, and bugging me when I didn't want to think about doing anything anymore. Padrone, the day I sign my contract, you will likely be able to hear me yell all the way across the ocean! And I truly, honestly, believe that it is going to happen this year.

I am going to hush this now, and stem the flow of words for once. I love you, Padrone. I simply, totally, gratefully love you.

No comments: